Sunday, May 16, 2010

Do You Take the Time to Tell Them you Care?

The thought came to me recently that I don't always tell someone I care about that I do on a regular basis. Take my Mom for example. I talk to her twice a day every day just to check in and see how she's doing. She's a remarkable woman, 3 time cancer survivor and is still recovering from her last bout with mouth cancer at 80. It took its toll on her and she seems a little down with life lately, so I make it a point to connect each day, and see her in person at least once a week.

What I realized is that when she was battling her various cancers, I always ended each conversation or departure with "I Love You", or just "Love You!". Now that she's over the hurdle, I noticed that I don't say that as much so that got me to wondering why. My thoughts are that when I realized I may lose her to any of these 3 cancer illnesses, it made me very aware that I did love her very much and couldn't envision my life without her in it, even though I know eventually she will not be alive.

When the high drama of cancer was present, the acute awareness was more developed and I made sure on every opportunity that I told her I loved her. Now that the risk is not as high, I slacked off and don't tell her as often. We never were a mushy, gushy emotionally expressive pair, but when I heard her say to me just the other night "Love You", I immediately responded with "yes I love you too Mom" and it felt so good to be able to say it.

Now that I had this thought about it, I will make it a point to go right back to expressing it every chance I get. I also make a point to tell her how strong she is, that she's a 3 time survivor and that she needs to give herself more credit than she does. I think it embarrasses her a bit, but I just know she loves to hear it, who wouldn't?

So my challenge to you is, tell someone you really care about how you feel about them today! Don't wait for an appropriate time, just do it today. Words have such a remarkable impact!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the reminder.
    Love to You from me :)
    Namaste Vida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vida, sending that love right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely put, Barb.

    It's useful to remember (and let know) our value for others and it not just be for when things aren't good. Like watering a flower, it's lovely to be watering it with love than to wait for something to be wrong to be doing it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Hemal for taking the time to read my post and for leaving a lovely comment. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete